My random thoughts…brought to you once a week!
Seems like a lot of food bloggers out there are doing “Best of” posts, so I figured I’d follow suit. Here are my Best of 2010.
Best Houston Restaurant: Haven
I enjoyed everything I had on my one trip…highlighted by those tasty Pig Trotters!
Best Houston Dish: Cedar Creek’s Club Sandwich
I’m a sucker for a club sandwich and CC’s version is just plain awesome.
Best Overall Restaurant: Kelly Liken (Vail, CO)
No surprise here. I just wrote about this place and since it was the best restaurant I’ve eaten at (in my life), it’s obvious it would be the best of 2010.
Best Overall Dish: Sticky Buns at Kelly Liken
I’m still having a hard time with a dessert being my favorite dish, but here we are.
Most Unique Restaurant: Battista’s Hole in the Wall (Las Vegas)
Dark, brat-packy feel. Just a classic place with great food.
Most Unique Dish: Duck Dumplings (Lucky Pot, Houston)
I’ve never had duck dumplings…they were good and this restaurant in the heart of Houston’s new Chinatown, serves up a lot of unique dishes.
Top 3 Non-Eating Blog Moments
1. Getting to tour one of my childhood favorite places (NY Bagel Shop). Ed showed me the entire process of how to make a bagel, the history of the bagel, and all of the equipment involved.
2. One-on-one interview with Tyler Florence. Pretty cool to see how a Food Network icon operates.
3. Caffe Bello food blogger convention. This was my first true food outing. I got to meet one of my favorite food bloggers (Albert), sat next to probably the smartest food blogger in the world (Dr. Ricky) and met a fellow food blogger at the Houston Press (Amber). The food and company made for a memorable experience.
Top 3 Eating Blog Moments
1. Biting into that sweet rib at Oklahoma Joe’s in Kansas City. I went home, started a blog, and haven’t looked back since.
2. Five course meal at Kelly Liken. Alright, I promise this is the last time this restaurant is mentioned.
3. Chompie’s (Phoenix) Jewish Slider…so good!
Group Award: Nashville Food Bloggers
It pains me to admit this, but Nashville may top Houston in something–overall food bloggers. There are some good ones out there: Vivek, Beth Eats, So, How’s It Taste, Love and Olive Oil, just to name a few!
Most Overrated Food Item: Organic
Something tells me the whole organic rage is going to ease up quite a bit…well, maybe in ten years. I’m not saying I don’t believe in it, I just think we’ve gotten a bit carried away with it. Did I just lose half my readership?
Most Underrated Food Item: Giacamo’s (Houston) pasta
My goodness was that some good pasta…I want to go back…soon!
Best Houston Hole-In-Wall: Leonard’s
I’ve written about this place a lot. Great burger.
Top Recipe: Nishta’s Curry Chicken Salad
I just made this, and it’s already my favorite recipe. I’m a chicken salad whore, and Nishta’s version is unbelievably good. The full write-up will be this Saturday. I made a pile of it the other day and have been eating it all week.
Here’s looking forward to a great 2011!