Ever wonder what other foodies are thinking? Me too!
1. What is the name of your blog? Almost Veggie Houston
2. Could you describe your blog in one sentence? Um, Almost Veggie shares ultimately sassy stories showcasing inventive chefs, fabulous food, or, cough, restaurants dealing with a kinda sorda service industry debacle.
3. How did you get into food blogging? I’ve been taking pictures of my food for years. When the new iPhone came out, I became even more spastic about food pictures. After discovering my boyfriend possessed a double life last summer, Almost Veggie came to life that very same day. We actually met for lunch recently in celebration of his cheaterness. I consider life’s lessons all stepping stones to extreme happiness. Sniffle.
4. What’s the toughest part of writing about food? Writing about food is the easy part. With every dining experience, there HAS to be a story. Something has to happen besides the food. A story can happen just from observing the chef, server, customers, or the… manager. Food is the real deal, but we all heart a sassy story.
5. What’s been your favorite food moment? Attending the Star Chefs Gala at the Four Seasons produced the highest level of joy since Almost Veggie began last year. Booths were set up beside the swimming pool, with rising star chefs all smooshed together showcasing their food.
6. Do you have a top restaurant? If so, what’s the name and is there an item you generally order? The endless quest for the best lobster roll is a very welcome challenge. Before ever visiting Luke’s Lobster, I just knew they would force a tear to squeak out of both ducts. Based out of New York City, I had seen pictures on Foodspotting, as well as noticing Foursquare’s Dennis Crowley howl about them all the time. Tasting finally happened this summer. There is absolutely no fluff about it. Luke’s Lobster has the best lobster roll on the planet.
7. What’s one U.S. city you’d travel to just for the food? Easily… New York City. With so many different cultures, the number of interesting restaurants is never ending. I’ve been lucky enough to have friends living in the city, also in the industry, to show me the absolute best of the best. Heart!
8. Is there a food you absolutely despise? Foie Gras. Just so you know, this is apparently the world’s most debatable topic for all humans coming in contact with me during any foie gras ordering moment. During a tasting recently at Masraff’s, the chef delivered foie gras with a growl. He knew this would curl my toes… in the un-fun way. After agreeing to give it a taste, after all these grossed out years, I was right in my own fright. The texture is comparable to that of the leech stuck to Vern’s leg during the swamp scene in “Stand By Me.”
9. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever eaten? Probably the sandwich I had in 6th grade while lying inside my Doritos sleeping bag at my Granny’s house. In between the bread of my egg salad sandwich, just so happened to be… Doritos, boiled peanuts, mayonnaise, and cheese. Please & Thanks.
10. Are you more likely to stick with what you know, or do you try something new each time? Menu items different than the norm are much more exciting to AVH readers. After perusing the menu, I try to order something a little different each time, yet still healthy. At this point, I’d almost rather have someone punch me in the face than ever eat another ahi anything again. Just saying…
*Images provided by Almost Veggie Houston