Cornbread lovers set to unite!
The 2nd Annual Arkansas Cornbread Festival is right around the corner, taking place on Saturday, November 3, 2012 from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. on South Main Street between 13th and 16th Streets in downtown Little Rock. Attendees can expect to feast on cornbread samples, listen to live music, and have the opportunity to buy all sorts of wonderful goodies.
Tickets to the event are $7 for adults, $3 for kids 6-12 years and free for children under six prior to Nov. 3. Tickets the day of the festival are $10 for adults, $5 for kids 6-12 years and free for children under six.
Up for a little competition?
Amateurs ($25 entry fee) and pros ($75 entry fee) will be showing off their mad cornbread-making skills for a chance to win cash and prizes…and, of course, bragging rights! The entries will be judged by everyone attending the festival as well as a panel of celebrity judges. Vendors will also be on hand, selling crafts, clothing, jewelry, locally-grown food products, and much more.
Attending the event is just a great way to help support a local festival and to check out an area of town that has experienced a fabulous revitalization. Anita Davis, the owner of The Bernice Garden, had this to say regarding last year’s event:
“When we started planning this festival, we hoped for 800 to 1,000 people. We were absolutely thrilled thousands of people from all over the city and the state came to see what makes South Main Street thrive.”
And as if you needed anymore incentive to show up, yours truly will be there helping out with the beer stand. Make sure to look for the bald dude with a beard and glasses.
Below are a few more ACBF details:
Categories are traditional, non-traditional and sweet, and it is up to each competitor to choose the category in which their entry will compete. New this year is the Best Side Item category, and any of the competitors can provide a side item of their choice. For entry forms, click here.
Winners will receive:
• Best Overall Winner (best in show) – $500, a trophy, a blue ribbon and a gift basket.
• Best Overall Winners in Traditional, Nontraditional and Sweet Categories – trophies
• Best Professional Winner – $100 and a gift basket.
• Best Amateur Winner – $100 and a gift basket.
• Best Professional, Traditional – $100 and a t-shirt.
• Best Professional, Non-Traditional – $100 and a t-shirt.
• Best Professional, Sweet – $100 and a t-shirt.
• Best Amateur, Traditional – $100 and a t-shirt.
• Best Amateur, Non-Traditional –$100 and a t-shirt.
• Best Amateur, Sweet –$100 and a t-shirt.
• Best Side Item – trophy and a cast iron dutch oven from Lodge Cast Iron.
*Images and content provided by representatives of ACBF.