Here’s a keeper recipe I concocted after purchasing some wonderful ground veal at the Hillcrest Farmers’ Market from Freckle Face Farm. Ground veal can be found at most major grocery stores, and although the cost is higher, the taste is spectacular!
Ingredients (serves 6)
-1 lb. ground veal
-1 cup Asiago cheese
-1 16 oz. package of penne pasta
-1 small package of Brussels sprouts
-4 cloves garlic
-1 container of baby bella mushrooms
-1 Tbsp canola oil
-Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prep work: Chop mushrooms. Mince garlic. Cut base of each Brussels sprout, then carefully remove each leaf from the sprout.
2. Boil penne pasta in a deep pot. Drain. Return pasta to pot. Set aside.
3. Brown ground veal in pan on Medium-High until cooked through (about 8 minutes). Remove meat from pan and set aside.
4. Turn burner on High and add the Brussels sprouts and mushrooms to the same pan used for the veal. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan.
5. Turn burner down to Medium and add oil and minced garlic to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes (being very careful not to burn the garlic).
6. Once the garlic is finished cooking, add it to the pot of pasta. Then add the mushrooms and Brussels sprout leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Plate the pasta mixture and grate some Asiago cheese over each individual plate.